Wine box vegetable gardens are a fantastic idea if you are short of space in your garden or would just like to try your hand at growing some salads or herbs. This is a simple little project that can keep you in fresh herbs or vegetables for months to come. As an added bonus it is a charming garden feature.
You can buy wooden wine boxes from EBAY (sometimes listed as wine crates) for between £5 and £10 or pop down to your local wine merchant to see if they have any lurking at the back of the shop.
Tip: Great for Balconies
Planting your Box
- Fill the box with a soil based compost. A soil based compost will ensure the compost holds water better. (see the shopping list at the end of the post)
- Pat the compost with your hand to make it flat.
- Using your finger, pull a shallow line through the compost as if you were drawing in some sand.
- Sprinkle your chosen seed in the line and gently cover over with compost
- Give the whole box a good water.
We have even grown a few Onions and Garlic in these boxes!
A great Watering Can comes in 7 different colours!