Gardeners are creatures of habit. They generally go to their local nursery or garden centre for all plants and garden supplies. What you may not realise is there are enormous benefits from buying plants and garden products online instead.
The ability to source and buy a greater variety of products for your garden is now at the click of your mouse. Buying online has become the best and easiest way to buy plants and garden products, timing your purchases and planting at optimum times.
There are some great online garden centres where you can buy plants and garden supplies and have them delivered hassle free.
Most importantly plants need to be bought before full flower and planted when it is cool and the plant is semi-dormant in Autumn or early Spring. This ensures the plant and root system is fully established before flowering and the hottest of weather arrives. Garden centres are immensely useful and great sources of plants; however many people go in and buy plants that are already in full flower and plant them at the wrong time. This can set gardeners up for disappointment, often planting the species when it is already at it’s prime at the hottest time of year, causing stress to the plant.
- You can source from a number of retail outlets, increasing your variety of choice. Online garden centres have many more varieties.
- Plants and products are delivered straight to your garden. Delivery times are so efficient the plants arrive in great condition. You can often get one flat delivery price for as much as you want to buy – so why not pool in with the neighbours on a collective order? Named day deliveries mean you have them when you want them.
- Compost and fertiliser delivery means no more lifting of heavy items on your own. Transporting plants can cause damage if not done sensitively. They often fall over in the car or get crushed when squashed into carry bags.
- You can make comparisons between E-tailers and get the best price for your purchase. E-tailers have lower overheads and therefore are generally more price competitive.
- When buying online you have a wealth of information on each plant from soil types to care instructions and even companion planting ideas. You can also see detailed pictures out of season to know what you will get in Summer. Place your order during the week in order to not waste precious planting time shopping for plants or supplies.
To save you time, we have listed some of the best Online Garden Centres for plants and products with a table of delivery charges to help you get the best deal:
Started in April 2000, crocus.co.uk is one of the largest online garden centres, offering over 4000 different plant varieties. One of the great advantages of shopping at crocus.co.uk is their delivery costs. There is a flat charge of only £4.99! This is great if you’re planting a complete border or you can get together with friends and make a bulk order. Next and Named Day delivery is available for £6.99 and Click and Collect is also possible if you live near by. There is a great returns policy and a One Year Guarantee on plants, shrubs, trees and perennials. There are some exceptions, so please read the returns policy section for more information.
Plants, Pots, Outdoor Living, Tools, Garden gifts
Plant Finder, Garden Advice, Inspiration Ideas, Great seasonal Offers
Amazon.co.uk is the largest online retailer selling thousands of products in the Garden and Outdoor category. This is fantastic news for gardeners looking for garden supplies and plants. With Amazon’s Prime service delivering the very next day, you could have your garden supplies on your doorstep before you can say Ornithogalum adseptentrionesvergentulum!
Amazon’s Best Seller List can help you see what other people are
purchasing for their garden and you can read reviews of the products you want to buy to see if they really do what they say on the box!
Everything From Plants to Greenhouses
Great Delivery options, Great real User Reviews
WaitroseGarden.com offers over 5000 plants and garden accessories. Working in association with crocus.co.uk , WaitroseGarden offers the best quality plants. They are hand packed and backed up by a One Year Guarantee on plants, shrubs, trees and perennials. There are some exceptions, so please read their returns policy section for more information. Orders can be made by phone. WaitroseGarden has FREE delivery on orders over £50 and Next and Named Day delivery. They also sell outdoor furniture, BBQs and great garden gifts. WaitroseGarden.com is a great online garden shop!
Waitrose Garden Sell:
Plants, Tools and Equipment, Outdoor Living, Sheds & Storage, Gifts, Pots
Waitrose Garden Provide:
Great delivery options, Planting Ideas, How to guides, Inspirational planting ideas
One of the UK’s largest online seed, blub and plant companies, Thompson-Morgan has been providing gardeners with the best quality products money can buy. There is free P&P on orders over £60. Basic charges for seeds is £1.95 and all other products are delivered at £4.95 so they have competitive rates. You can even use up to £45 of Tesco Boost Vouchers at Thompson and Morgan. Selling everything from garden buildings to garden machinery, Thompson-Morgan is a great online Garden Centre.
Thompson & Morgan Sell:
Plants, Seeds, Bulbs, Fruit Plants, Machinery, Outdoor Living
Thompson & Morgan Provide:
The largest selection of seeds and bulbs, Plant Finder, Gardening Help, Tesco Boost Vouchers
Delivery Cost Comparison Table
(To see full table on mobile turn phone on side)
Next & Named day
|WaitroseGarden.com||£6.95||£3.95||Free over £50|
|Amazon.co.uk||Next Day||Various options||Various options|