Gardeners are creatures of habit. They generally go to their local nursery or garden centre for all plants and garden supplies. What you may not realise is there are enormous benefits from buying plants and garden products online instead.
The ability to source and buy a greater variety of products for your garden is now at the click of your mouse. Buying online has become the best and easiest way to buy plants and garden products, timing your purchases and planting at optimum times.
There are some great online garden centres where you can buy plants and garden supplies and have them delivered hassle free.
Most importantly plants need to be bought before full flower and planted when it is cool and the plant is semi-dormant in Autumn or early Spring. This ensures the plant and root system is fully established before flowering and the hottest of weather arrives. Garden centres are immensely useful and great sources of plants; however many people go in and buy plants that are already in full flower and plant them at the wrong time. This can set gardeners up for disappointment, often planting the species when it is already at it’s prime at the hottest time of year, causing stress to the plant.
Online Garden Centre Buying Tips
- You can source from a number of retail outlets, increasing your variety of choice. Online garden centres have many more varieties.
- Plants and products are delivered straight to your garden. Delivery times are so efficient the plants arrive in great condition. You can often get one flat delivery price for as much as you want to buy – so why not pool in with the neighbours on a collective order? Named day deliveries mean you have them when you want them.
- Compost and fertiliser delivery means no more lifting of heavy items on your own. Transporting plants can cause damage if not done sensitively. They often fall over in the car or get crushed when squashed into carry bags.
- You can make comparisons between E-tailers and get the best price for your purchase. E-tailers have lower overheads and therefore are generally more price competitive.
- When buying online you have a wealth of information on each plant from soil types to care instructions and even companion planting ideas. You can also see detailed pictures out of season to know what you will get in Summer. Place your order during the week in order to not waste precious planting time shopping for plants or supplies.
To save you time, we have listed some of the best Online Garden Centres for plants and products with a table of delivery charges to help you get the best deal:back to menu ↑
The Best Online Garden Retailers
Delivery Cost Comparison Table
(To see full table on mobile turn phone on side)